Saturday, June 09, 2007

The one where I met Balu Mahendra

Not that meeting celebrities is a new thing for me. Ennai Juppan'la jaaki saan kootaha, amrikkavula maikayl sackson kootaha. Yesterday was my wife's friend's marriage-wedding-funcsaan. I accompanied my wife because I hadn't eaten 'kalyana sapadu' for a long time. The bride's father's profession had something to do with cinema. So Balu Mehandra had come to attend the funcsan with his trademark cap, 'cooling glass' etc.
Circumstances contrived to make me sit next to Mr. Mahendra at the dining table. Our conversations resembled the long periods of silence that is a common feature in most of his movies. Out of respect for each other's talents (multi faceted I might add), we did not say anything. Instead we decided to direct our mutual admiration for each other - on the food by fervently amukkifying the dishes put on our banana leaf. Balu, we are on first name basis now, was apparently in a pissed-off mood. Didn't talk to people who came to ask "ellam ok'va sir! Sapadu okay'va sir". All the eyes were on me. Ofcourse a couple of people noticed Balu also. Then, a funny thing happened, the bride's brother along with a couple of lackeys came and asked Balu if he wanted hot water. Balu shooshed them away. I had cold, cough and a sore throat. My wife, unaware of the ups and downs of being in show biz, assumed hot water was available for everybody and asked, one of the lackeys, for a glass of hot water for me. "Hot Water'aa. athellam illama" was his reply, barely 2 seconds after he offered Balu one. 1 minute later the same lackey came back and double-checked (using an over dose of pronouns) "neenga sir'oda son'ungala" (are you sir's son)? Maybe if I had said 'yes' - I would have got one glass of hot water. But I didn't want to change my lineage for a glass of water. For a cinema chance, maybe. But I had my standards.
After the 'oru vettu vettitu' happened, Balu closed his banana leaf and departed. He probably regretted not speaking a single word to me. An opportunity he may not get for the rest of his life.

10 comments:

Anupadmaja said...

Orey gummunnu iruttaamey kalyanathula :)

Sowmya said...

ha..ha..beautiful end :)

kazhugukaNN_visiri said...

boss,

i've been reading and enjoying a lot of your blogs over the last year or so (never commented on any, though), and would like to meet you in person.

am currently (and always) in madras.

mudiyuma?

Anonymous said...

ennaku oru doubt!!

Kalayanathula neenga saapteengala??

Ungaluku hot water vaenumna neenga vivek sollara maatrhi solli irukalam.
" Ennaku Baloova theriyum.." Tht wuld hv fetched u gallons of hot water.
yaaravathu entha Baloonu kaetka unga kusumbu thanathula
"Tennis Baloo"
"Rubber Baloo"
"FootBaloo"
"Aynavaram Gobaloo"
solli iruntheengana neenga ambaeloo.

--Smiley :-)

sreekrishnanv said...

LOL ... simply you should have asked " ippo thaney sir "Pakkathula" kaetinga ... ??"

I'd have loved to see the lackey or Balu answer that question!

probably balu would have ignored thinking its CCed to him !

on a diff note continuing from the above comment

LOLLU SABHA -

Enna Balu
Basket Balu
Vilayadatha baalu
Vilayadarthukkathaan Balu
Enna Balu
Basked balu

WA said...

OMG this is so funny :)

Nilu said...

appove nenachhen. this sowmya is not the shallow thoughts sowmya nnu.....there must be a law against idiots having the names of good folks

Sowmya said...

hoii nilu..

inna inna...thammathunndu peru vechukinu namma kaila wrongu kaatikiniya.en kaila vechukina keesiruven ..saakarathaii..

sanj said...

u r dumbo ..
if i had 2 b in ur place i wud have touched his feet and kissed his hands out of reverence .

Tessa said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Ruth

http://besttoddler.com